Friday, 29 January 2016

Day 29 - Flapjacks


I don't eat cake and I've not really got much of a sweet tooth left but every now and again I do get the urge for something a little bit tasty to have with a cup of coffee.  These flapjacks fit the bill perfectly and as well as being deliciously moreish, thanks to the fruit and nuts they leave you feeling as though you have had a substantial snack and not like you want to raid the biscuit tin again ten minutes later.


I'll be honest it's taken me years to perfect a good flapjack recipe, they used to turn out too crumbly, too thin, too hard, well too everything not right about the perfect flapjack!!

Then I went to town on my ingredients ... although I do use Value Oats, Broken Mixed Nuts and supermarkets own brand baking butter ..... and my problem was sorted :-)

My Flapjacks

350g Oats
50g smashed Mixed Nuts 
(use a pestle and mortar or just put them in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin)
50g mixed dried fruit 
(I like raisins and cranberries)
200g Golden Syrup
150g Sugar
250g Butter 
(yep ...a full block)

Put the butter, syrup and sugar into a biggish pan and melt over a low heat.
Once melted tip all the other ingredients into the pan (why dirty up another bowl!!)  and stir well to combine.
Pour into a 8"/20cm square lined or well greased baking tin and press down evenly.

Cook for approx 30 minutes in a medium hot oven.  Check after 20 or so minutes to make sure the edges aren't cooking too quickly, if they are you can cover with a piece of tinfoil.

Take out of the oven when they are coloured to your liking and then leave them in the tin to cool down for ten minutes.  Then lift carefully out of the tin with the overhanging liner and put onto a chopping board, cut into 16 pieces and leave to cool on a wire rack.


Today is a nibbling at flapjack day ... but also a  No Spend Day 

11 comments:

  1. They look lovely.The recipe I use also puts a little desicated coconut in.Its called crunch but is lovely and chewy.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My DH is a flapjack addict, he's never been able to 'ration' himself with them! I very rarely make them anymore, as he'd scoff the lot as soon as my back was turned.......in fact he doesn't even wait until I turn my back, he just wolfs them down in front of me!
    Although.........having seen those you made sitting there full of buttery, syrupy goodness has decided me, I'm going to do some this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a sweet tooth and try to be very good in the week, and have a treat at the weekend, I was thinking I might do coconut flapjacks this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never get flapjacks right. I may just have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flapjack too and have my perfect recipe for many years. I like reducing the sugar and adding mashed banana to ring the changes.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make up flapjack recipe as I go along - it's never quite the same, as I never measure it. Copious amounts of syrup and butter always help it along though! :) I always have sunflower seeds in, usually pumpkin too and then whatever is around (nuts, dried fruit, granola which nooone likes, the 'dust' from the bottom of the cornflakes packet) I often add bananas to use them up. This week I made cherry, coconut and banana flapjack (with a few prunes thrown in for good measure, but the children weren't told that ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks very good, I want try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good, here we call a pancake a flapjack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these look great, will have to give them a try. I put sunflower and sesame seeds in mine, but they do tend to get stuck in your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hubby's favourite but I'm not making them just get, as I'm trying to be good and that amount of butter will not help my hips. If I did make them he would scoff the lot :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.