Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Day 26 - Weekly Soup


Firstly a big thank you to all of you who gave me suggestions for uses for the 'almond milk powder'.  There were some brilliant suggestions and I am going to try them all as and when I have more dry powder to use up after making almond milk.  I have enough blanched almonds for another 4 litres of milk so I can try most of them out.

Today I am going to make bread with it, because as usual there is a big panful of soup in the fridge, and what would be nicer than a loaf or a few nutty bread rolls to dunk into it.  

Every Monday morning I raid the polytunnel for cabbage, carrots, celery, a couple of leeks and some kale and along with any sad looking leftovers in the fridge and a handful of dried soup mix I make up enough soup to see me through the week for my lunches.

It's nutritious, quick to prepare and lovely and warming on these cold, dark blustery days, and of course the best thing ever it costs me next to nothing to make.  Every week it's slightly different, even using the same ingredients because I never weigh anything out or measure the bouillon powder so the taste varies.  This weeks version is 'blow my socks off spicy' ... I was a bit heavy handed with the chilli flakes so it's definitely warming  ;-)

Today is a No Spend Day

11 comments:

  1. You just can't beat soup its so delicious,versatile and cheap to make. You can have it chunky or smooth. I've even used some a cook in sauce over meat. I'm just roasting some chicken thighs and legs for various dinners. The bones will be boiled for stock ready to make soup later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eating home made soup most days at the moment, again usually made from left over vegetables. We're having turkey and bacon risotto tonight (yes, still eating the Christmas turkey). I'm cutting right down on the amount of meat I'm eating but the boys still like their meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 'fridge bottom' soup - such a great way of ensuring no waste and healthy and (usually!) delicious to boot :)
    Hopefully your soup won't increase too much in warmth by the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade soup is so cheap to make, and full of goodness, perfect, x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took soup to work for lunch today, can't beat it on days like today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love homemade soup. LH would eat it for 3 meals a day. He says there are no bad soups, just some are better than others!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a bowl of veggies waiting to be turned into a delicious soup today. Great way to use up bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing beats a home made soup, except perhaps for homemade soup WITH homemade bread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. H&B have a buy one get one half price offer on, so I've stocked up on tubs of Marigold bouillon powder!
    Even though we're not vegetarians, I often put just a few soaked soya protein chunks in as the soup's cooking, it gives it a bif of different texture.
    I have a pan of yellow split pea and ham hock soup on the go at the moment.......really looking forward to eating that, but not until tomorrow, I find it tastes much better for sitting a while to let the flavours mingle properly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to make up a pot of soup too.
    It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.