Monday, 25 January 2016

Day 25 - Almond Milk


Occasionally I make my own Almond milk, and although I have two packs of longlife almond milk in the other cupboard, the Blanched Almonds that I have have an even shorter date on them so I thought I would make myself a batch for this week.

It's really simple to do, you simply soak 200g of blanched almonds overnight in enough slightly salted water to cover them.  In the morning drain them through a sieve and give them a quick rinse.  Then add the almonds and one litre of cold water to a liquidiser.


I tend to add the water in two halves, that way I can see in the first half that the almonds are whizzing up nice and small and the liquidiser doesn't overflow.  Once they are whizzed to oblivion I add the rest of the water and quickly whizz again to combine it all equally.


Then it's just a case of pouring through a muslin bag, giving the bag a good squeeze once the drips have stopped.  One litre of water and 200g of almonds give you just over a litre of Almond Milk.

Yes it works out more expensive than buying the packs of almond milk in the supermarket BUT and to me it's a big but ..... the only ingredients in the homemade milk are almonds and water, in the various supermarket versions there is a long list of ingredients with the almonds making up only 2% of the total. 


I'm just racking my brains trying to think of something to use the leftover powdered almonds in.  I usually give this to the chickens, and will do again if I can't think of something by the end of today, at least this way I am sort of trading it for eggs .... but there must be something I can add it to.  

My first thought was to use it like 'ground almonds' but it only has a very mild almond-y taste, maybe adding some almond essence to this would work ... see I am thinking as I type.

Any suggestions gratefully considered.

Today is a No Spend Day


16 comments:

  1. Sprinkle on porridge or on home made bakewells or something similar? You amaze me with your little pearls of industrial wisdom - I'm forever picking up tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always prefer homemade anything because I control the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bakewell tart with a few drops of almond essence to boost the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like others I think adding them to a cake mix would work well. Would your Nutri bullet been better to mix? Just thinking its Moto us do powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motor is so powerful. Ruddy text!

      Delete
    2. You always get lots of 'nut powder' over no matter whether I use blender or Nutribullet. So I use the blender for it's capacity.

      Delete
  5. They work great in bread! Either in just plain white or with oats,seeds and heavier flour. I have baked sweets with it too and biscotti is my favorite to add it to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread or biscotti.... brilliant ideas, thanks :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Sue, I keep the almond pulp in my freezer until I have a few cups, then I spread the thawed pulp on a cookie sheet and leave in my oven at a low temperature for a few hours until it is all dehydrated and just before it Browns. Once done, I whizz it in my blender to make almond flour. It's a great sub (I usually replace half the regular flour) in cookies, bars, cakes, etc. I haven't tried using that much in bread yet. It can be a bit thirstier than regular flour...a bit like using whole wheat flour and it doesn't have gluten so...Oh macaroons with your beautiful eggs might be nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond flour that's an excellent idea, thanks.

      Delete
  7. Would it work to put that with porridge and either some honey or fresh fruit mixed in ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmm, sounds great, and no long ingredient list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you make a sweet polenta type thing with it? Or use it to bulk out baking or puddings? Or make a semolina cake?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of brilliant ideas, thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you mix them with breadcrumbs and use that way? Or are they too wet?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.