Thursday, 21 January 2016

Day 21 - Cupboards 4


Another day another cupboard .... this one is mostly the homemade jams, chutneys and other preserves.  Of course other things have sneaked in as is the way with my cupboards, and the middle shelf has the crisps we bought for Christmas that never got eaten, packets of popcorn that we have been taking with us to the cinema as they didn't make it onto the Christmas party table, the giant jar of pickles that I was going to open and then I discovered an almost out of date jar of pickled onions in the cupboard one so that was started first instead, a cheese making kit that I have never gotten round to using and a few other bits and bobs lurking at the back.

The tins of tuna are mostly Gingers, he's partial to a tin almost every day, but every now and then he goes off it completely and reverts to just eating his dried cat food for a couple of weeks.  I say mostly Ginger's, because of course if we need some tuna for a pizza or a pasta dish or just to scatter on a salad we take one.  

I'll have to remember to factor that into my spending records as we are not including pet food in out housekeeping budget this year.  The one I've currently been buying for him is from T*sco at just 55p a tin.   We tend to mostly buy the dog food and treats from the farm supply shop and this comes out of the company account, so we decided to exclude all pet food purchases from this Challenge.

The top shelf holds my drawer of seeds, and  balanced on top of that my tin of free seeds collected during last year from the cover of my subscription magazines.  So also food ..... eventually  ;-)

A No Spend Day

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, I was wondering what your opinion on the value tuna is i.e taste wise. Have always been tempted as we ( and the cat) eat quite a bit. I usually get the home brand in oil but at about £4 for 4 tins it's quite pricey. P.s. the cat sometimes has mackerel which is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes fine, much better than some of the other more expensive ones. Just make sure you get the 'chunks' and not the flakes. It's in brine, but a very mild one and is line caught and dolphin friendly, if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  2. That wouldn't be an Italian cheese making kit by any chance? I gave one to Mrs P as a Christmas present, but she hasn't got round to doing anything with it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't think it's an Italian one, more likely something Scottish ... Lovely Hubby bought it for me ;-)

      Delete
  3. Another no spend day here, and I had forgotten to include the pet food in my costs but will. The cat's groceries cost more than mine did this week but a bag of cat food should last a bit more than a month. I hope you enjoy your cheese making kit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would be fascinated to hear your views if you did ever use the cheese making kit. I keep eyeing up an Italian version, but wasn't sure if it would just end up being quite expensive for the quantity produced (especially if I didn't manage it very well).

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.