Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Day 12 - Monday Morning Soup


Every Monday morning after walking the dogs round the paddock first thing, I call into the polytunnel and pick a selection of vegetables for my weekly soup pot.  This photo shows this weeks pickings.


I then check in the fridge to see what needs using up and this week I added a peeled Kohl Rabi that I had picked the day before and then not used, and an onion.


The stalks get chopped and added and the leaves, this time there were Cabbage, Spinach and Kale are all rolled up and chopped into lengths.


Everything gets a brief stir round the pan in a bit of butter and then I add a handful or two of dried soup mix, a tablespoon of bouillon powder, bits and bobs of flavourings ... garlic paste, chilli flakes, salt, pepper etc and a kettleful of water.  It's all brought to the boil and then popped into the simmering oven of the Aga for a couple of hours.  

Once everything is nicely cooked I half whizz it up.  It's a compromise I have recently discovered.  I like my soups completely whizzed and velvety smooth and Lovely Hubby likes his thick and chunky with big bits of vegetables, so half whizzed suits us both :-)

It gives me a big pan full of soup that last all week for lunches.  Cheap, easy to do and very nourishing.

Today is a No Spend Day

15 comments:

  1. I've been making my soups chunky lately. They make me feel fuller longer! So cheap and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, I bet that would work for me. It makes sense in to tricking yourself you've had something to get your teeth in to. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. We do similar, I make a big fat (as in amount) soup on a weekend and then freeze what we don't eat and have it through the rest of the week. Really filling and warming for the cooler weather and best of all uses us odd veg and is cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a fridge soup yesterday x

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a good idea. I think I'll do that this morning. I was curious about your Aga. We dont see them much in the states. Is it wood or electric.?? Does it go all day with wood?? I know our kitchen is too small to have one plus they are quite the investment but I love seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Aga is electric. It's an old reconditioned one and my pride and joy :-)

      It's on all the time but can be turned off whenever we need it off, but to tell the truth even in Summer if we turn it off it feels as though the heart has gone out of the home, so we open the conservatory door instead!! If we do turn it off it needs about 24 hours to come back up to full temperature as it holds it's heat in it's cast iron body which is packed tightly with insulation material.

      A good post to read about and see more of my Aga is here -http://ournewlifeinthecountry.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/cooking-on-aga.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link Sue. Funnily enough when I read you had an Aga too, I was going to ask about it as the farmhouse we're moving in to on Friday has an Aga. I have never used one before and I can't wait!

      Delete
  5. Your soup sounds yummy, I made broccoli and Stilton soup today using up some tired veg and the last bit of Stilton from Christmas. I had to go out to buy some fresh bread but tonight's dinner is from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade soup is just the best. I love that you can throw anything in and it tastes devine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go through periods where I just have no interest in food, but I can always cope with home made-soup! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful, and other than half chopped potato soup, I haven't tried with other veggies. I need to.
    Wondering if you have problems with rodents / animals coming into your poly tunnel? And does your Aga heat the tunnel also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising what you can throw into a pan of soup. I literally put any vegetable, leftovers and bits of cheese I find in the fridge into the weekly 'Fridge Soup'

      The Aga only heats the house by it's presence IN THE HOUSE, it's a great big bit of cast iron that sits there at a set temperature, it can't heat the polytunnel because it's nowhere near it. The polytunnel is not heated in any way. I've had no trouble with rodents in the polytunnel up to now and luckily the moles have kept away too, I'm keeping my fingers crossed this continues.

      Delete
  9. How lovely to be able to just go and pick your own, i really must give soup making a go x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been making lots of soups this winter, with whatever is available in leftovers - makes life interesting :)
    By the way, I've only recently added your blog posts to my feedly reader list, and am enjoying your tips, and the ones added by your clever readers, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your challenge and am trying to catch up on all your days, this is a lovely experiment! For your dried soup mix, is that your own blend or do you buy that? What all is in it?

    Thank you for sharing your experience :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.